Saturday, June 29: Hebrews 5– …

Verse 12: In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers …
I wish I knew specifically to whom the writer was writing. Is it accurate to think that everyone should mature to being a teacher? This is what I am musing on this day.
In this closing paragraph, the author is lamenting the fact that those to whom he/she is writing are still infants in the faith; by this point in their faith-life they should be teachers! I don’t know if he means everyone should mature to where they could/should be teachers but it is clear that by this time in their walk with Jesus they should be highly mature Christ followers.
This raises the bigger issue for me about maturing in the faith. It seems we expect so little of disciples these days. Many people today are content to be fed their entire life. Too many believers seem comfortable growing little or none each year and this just doesn’t fit with the intention of this paragraph…
All of this begs me to answer the question, “Am I growing and maturing?” And if I answer yes, I should be able to also answer where I am growing and maturing. Another question blossoms… how am I teaching my growing edges to others?
Lord, as I think over what I saw in the text today, I realize yet another way I settle for safe Christianity and ‘me-centered’ Christianity. We are meant to be people who give away what we have to others… as I grow and mature, I should give that away to others. Whether I call that teaching or mentoring or encouraging or whatever, I am built by Jesus to give away what He has given me…
Lord, I fall so short of this. Redirect me to be more selfless and giving of everything You have given me, whether maturity or wisdom, or resources… I pray in Jesus’ name and for the sake of advancing His name and Gospel world-wide. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment