Saturday, June 8: Leviticus 14– …

More skin disease and mildew regulations… again, this doesn’t immediately grip my heart.
About half way though the chapter, the first words of verse 21 latched on to me. It reads, If, however, he is poor and cannot afford these… The cleansing rituals from an infectious disease were costly…two lambs, a ewe lamb plus other accouterments. How would a poor person pay for this? But God provided a way, a more moderately priced cleansing ritual.
Over and over God calls His people to care for the poor, and this is precisely what God does here. Cleansing rituals were important. They were the way a person became ceremonially clean, which means they were allowed back into the community. God doesn’t toss aside the cleansing rituals. He maintains His Word and Way, but He makes a way so that people of little means can access His grace and restoration just like everyone else…
Now this is a picture of God that will carry me for the day.
Tomorrow as I gather for worship, the realization that God invites all to His presence, regardless of worldly means, powerfully communicates to me God’s love and care for all people.
James’ words against favoritism (James 2) fly into my thoughts … more to chew on!
Lord, I can so easily erect barriers, walls of race, culture, economics, education and the like. Forgive me. I do not yet come close to having Your heart for people. Mold me into Your image. Continue to show me Your way. Help me to emulate You… this I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment