Thursday, August 1: Numbers 4–…

The Lord certainly has everything organized! How to care for the Tabernacle is clearly spelled out.
I found myself thinking about the Kohathites, the Levite clan who was in charge of carrying the most holy things of the Tabernacle. Because of the holiness of these items, the priests had responsibility for packing and covering the holy items. Only after the most holy items were packed and covered could the Kohathites carry them. After Aaron and his sons have finished covering the holy furnishings and all the holy articles, and when the camp is ready to move, the Kohathites are to come to do the carrying. But they must not touch the holy things or they will die... (15).
The severity of that last sentence hit me. God made the boundaries perfectly clear, only priests were allowed to touch the holy things.
As I pondered this I was launched into thoughts about honor, dignity and reverence for God. We don’t speak about these attributes very often when we speak about how people are to treat God. Connection with God has grown much more casual, except in some of the more liturgical expressions of the Christian church. Yet ever their casualness with the things of God is growing.
Some of our casualness with God is healthy, allowing for a deeper more intimate relationship with the Lord is possible. ON the flip side we have lost some (much) reverence and awe of God, even a healthy fear of God.
Today’s reading has me reflecting on this latter aspect and places and ways I can raise reverence, awe and healthy fear up a few notches in my life and relationship with the Lord.
Blessed be the name of the Lord… his name is higher than any other…
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty…
Praise to the Lord the almighty the king of creation…
Lord God almighty I bow before You. You alone are to worshipped and glorified. You alone are worthy of praise and honor… for You alone are God and I bow and submit to You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment