Tuesday, August 13: Numbers 14– Rebellion…

The bad report given by ten of the spies led directly to rebellion by the people! All night they whined and complained and by morning they were whipped into a frenzy of rebellion. NO, we will not go! NO, send us back to Egypt! NO, God, NO!
Their act of rebellion cost them dearly. Rebellion from God always costs. God doesn’t suffer insolence.
I pondered the way in which a bad report escalated into rebellion. If only the situation could have been nipped in the bud, correcting the bad report before it poisoned the people. Life is like that. Sin grows in the shadows and darkness. We are always better off confronting sin at the earliest moment. The sooner sin is confronted, the simpler the task of gaining victory.
The flip side is true as well. The longer we allow sin to lurk in the shadows and grow, the more difficult it is to confront and overcome. And generally, the greater the punishment when God deals with it.
I guess this is why the wisdom of Jesus and the ancient heroes of the faith says to keep short accounts. And daily, if not more often, make our confessions and admissions to the Lord that we might be cleansed from our sin and so that we do not allow sin to grow into a ‘monster’ difficult to defeat.
Spending time in confession seems to be the order of the day. I begin praying a prayer with deep roots into the life and history of Christ followers…
Most Merciful God, I confess that I have sinned against You in thought, word and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone. I have not loved You with my whole heart and mind and strength. I have not loved my neighbors as myself. I am truly sorry and humbly repent. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive my sins; that I might delight inYour will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name.

Oh, Lord, my God, as I sit before You and make my confession, cleanse me, heal me and set me upright that I might serve You this and every day. To the glory of Your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment