Friday, September 13: 1Corinthians 5- An uncomfortable word.

This is a difficult chapter as I sit and meditate on it because it is forcing me to think about the dark and dirty underbelly of church life… when sin, significant, debilitating, cancerous sin, invades the church.

First, it forces me to realize that such things do happen. The Church and my church are not perfect. They are not perfect because I am not perfect.

Secondly, although I have not acted like the brother in this chapter, I am capable of such sin. Proverbs reminds me that pride goes before a fall (Proverbs 16:18). Humbleness in recognizing that sin lurks in me and I must be vigilant in my fight against it. It is also coupled with a constant willingness to listen to the voice of the Spirit warning and correcting me is my only valid defense against the sin-filled part of my nature that is not yet surrendered to Jesus!

Thirdly, I have to beware that I don’t get things backwards, like the Corinthians did. They were lenient on sin for people within the church, while at the same time expecting non-believers to live as if they were following Jesus. I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world (9-10).

This morning is a tough chew… an uncomfortable Word.

Jesus, bring the light of Your Word into the dark places of my life. Mold me and shape me to be like You, who offered grace to sinners and an invitation to repent and begin life anew with You. Help me to be such a person… for Your Cause and in Your Name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment