Thursday, June 13: Leviticus 18– The lure of wrong sex…

Oh, how much of life is fueled by sex?
Images of so many commercials come to mind. The Super Bowl commercials weren’t great this year. One that got much of the buzz was the Fiat commercial, which was laden with sexual innuendo. Sex sells…
In this chapter, God draws some fences for Israel regarding inappropriate sexual relations. What struck me is that God is guarding Israel from the influences of past and future ungodly cultures. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices (3).
Christ followers need to show the same vigilance today that Israel would have needed in their day. Today it isn’t the Egyptians and the Canaanites so much as it is Madison Avenue and Hollywood who apply huge pressure on all of us. The societal changes occurring in our culture are evidence of the effectiveness of their influence.
Jesus upped the ante teaching that purity of mind is as important as purity of action when it comes to sin. Check out Matthew 5:28 for example, if you want to read some of Jesus’ teachings…
Lord, Help me to remain pure before You… pure in action and pure in thought.
To honor You in how I live is my desire, Lord. Please grace me with the power and presence of Your Holy Spirit that my life will be an offering to You. In my Lord’s Name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment