Thursday, August 22: Numbers 22– The seduction of money…

The account of Balaam always gives me pause,  Am I listening to the voice of the Lord or what I want the voice of the Lord to be saying?
God is clear with Balaam the first time he asks, "Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed" (12). So Balaam refused to go with them.
After this is when the story gets interesting…
The king of Moab won’t take ‘no’ for an answer so he sends other princes, more numerous and more distinguished than the first. They came to Balaam and said: "This is what Balak son of Zippor says: Do not let anything keep you from coming to me, because I will reward you handsomely and do whatever you say. Come and put a curse on these people for me." [The lure of money is a strong one.]
But Balaam answered them, "Even if Balak gave me his palace filled with silver and gold, I could not do anything great or small to go beyond the command of the LORD my God. Now stay here tonight as the others did, and I will find out what else the LORD will tell me."
That night God came to Balaam and said, "Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you" (16-20).
Whenever I read this I wonder if Balaam heard the voice of the Lord or his own voice disguising itself as the Lord this second night. I wonder this because God dispatches the angel to kill him during the journey. The text is quite definitive that great riches were being promised to Balaam. The conclusion I come to is that the money seduced Balaam!
This incident is referenced 4 or 5 times elsewhere in scripture, in each one God overrides Balaam in order to bless Israel and in 2Peter 2:15, Balaam is described as one who loved the wages of unrighteousness.
So with this account as background, God warns me to be VERY careful in listening to Him and not confusing any other voice with His voice.
A second learning for me is that when I know what God has said on a particular matter [for me this is preeminently when I see it clearly in God’s word], I am not to go to God and ask again and again, in effect begging God to change His mind. God spoke definitively to Balaam and Balaam understood.  Why would he go back to God again?...
Bill, learn this lesson, the Spirit whispered
Lord God, I am so thankful that You speak… Your word is alive and is always present to speak. And Your Spirit speaks as well. I draw comfort that what Your Spirit speaks will always be in accord with that Your written Word, already spoken, says.
Help me to be so in tune with You that I can clearly distinguish Your voice from any other.
Lord, I pray, too, that I will become very aware of those things that can so easily seduce me.

Lord, more than fame, more than riches, I want to serve You with heart and mind and soul and strength. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment