Monday, August 19: Numbers 19– How hard it is to be keep ourselves clean…

As I read this chapter I found myself fixing on verse 16 and pondering David and his fighting men. Anyone out in the open who touches someone who has been killed with a sword or someone who has died a natural death, or anyone who touches a human bone or a grave, will be unclean for seven days.
Every battle likely meant they became unclean. And when they went back through the dead to gather the plunder, they would become unclean. And then for 7 days they would be unclean. In order to become clean they would have to go through this cleansing ritual washing on the 3rd and 7th days. But it is not hard to suppose that they would be fighting multiple days. Or they would fight, then advance and fight again, in a day or so.
I thought how difficult it would be for them to become and remain clean. The more I think about this, the more I suspect that they didn’t go through the cleansing ritual until they returned home and the time of fighting was over.
What a life. How hard it must have been for soldiers to keep the law.
As I typed this last sentence, I realized how hard it is for anyone to keep the law. This is only the rule about being cleansed from touching a dead body. Add on top of this the myriad of other laws. It is impossible for us to keep God’s law! But thanks be to God, He has given a way apart from the law through which we can live righteous before God.
Romans 3:21-22: But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known…. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

Oh, God, thank you for Jesus, for the righteousness that comes through faith in Him. God, I could never be righteous before you on my own. I couldn’t and can’t do it myself. Through faith in Jesus, which is a gift from You by itself, I have been graced with what I could never earn on my own. Thank You. Bless You. Praise You. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment