Wednesday, August 7: Numbers 9– Check with the Lord…

Immediately upon reading I knew my devotional time would be spent camped around verse 8. Some people who were ritually unclean needed a ruling about the Passover, so they came to Moses for his decision. Moses answered them, "Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you."
As I sit and ponder Moses’ response, I find so much wisdom. People come to me with all manner of urgency with particular faith questions. Sometimes the answer is plain and I can give it. Often, however, the question is a new situation I haven’t considered or one I am not immediately sure of the answer. Moses was in this latter situation. The issue hadn’t come up and Moses was unsure of the answer, rather than blather on, he said, Wait until I find out what the LORD commands…
Brilliant!... What does God have to say on the matter!
Too often in life I speed alone guessing what God might say on a new issue or new question I haven’t faced. Too often I accept the other person’s urgency or my own urgency on a particular topic rather than pausing to talk with the Lord.
Although the text isn’t clear on the ensuing timeline, it seems like Moses got his answer from the Lord in a short time. Maybe by the next day Moses was able to meet with the people and give them God’s answer. Truth is, whether it was a day or a week, the answer born out of consultation and communication with the Lord came in a timely manner.
And by consulting with the Lord first, Moses avoided a mistake and/or embarrassment. (If you want to see what can happen if we answer without seeking God’s input, skip ahead and read the paragraphs leading up to Joshua 9:14.)
Lord, I pray for patience and wisdom to know those times when I should not rush ahead with an answer but should wait so that I have time to check in and consult with You. I mean, Lord, this is such practical advice, it seems I should know it. And yet I know that sometimes I rush ahead. Forgive me and help me to be more attuned to Your whispers and nudges to slow down and check in.
And, Lord, I pray that I am more attuned to You in my life generally, not just when surprise questions or decisions come my way. I pray this through Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment