Wednesday, July 31: Numbers 3– Obedience required…

I was struck by God’s direct punishment of Aaron’s son who made an unauthorized offering. Nadab and Abihu, however, fell dead before the LORD when they made an offering with unauthorized fire before him in the Desert of Sinai(4).
Nadab and Abihu’s sinful action was not some minor infraction. Offerings at the tabernacle were the direct connection to the Lord and therefore were at the heart of the faith, so they were highly significant and visible.
God dealt with this sin swiftly and visibly. Nadad and Abihu died before the Lord.
I have been the recipient of God’s grace, mercy and forgiveness countless times, yet verses like this in the Bible remind me that sin will reap its punishment.  I MUST NEVER take sin lightly. Never, ever, never!
Forgiveness, my forgiveness, cost Jesus His life. He died on the cross to secure my forgiveness and reconciliation with God. This alone should keep me mindful of sin’s cost.  But it doesn’t. I sometimes take forgiveness for granted. Verses like the one this morning become another reminder that SIN earns God’s wrath.
It seems wise to me this morning to spend some time in self reflection, examining my life and making my confession to God, thanking Him for His grace, mercy and forgiveness in Jesus, which I must not presume upon…

Lord God…

No comments:

Post a Comment