Saturday, September 14: 1Corinthians 6- The changes God can bring.

The writer of Ecclesiastes says there is nothing new under the sun (1:9). Well, reading 1Corinthians makes that clear. Problems and issues in the church have been around as long as the church has been around. Paul is certainly exposing some whoppers!

It was Paul’s descriptions of the before and after life of a person who converts to Christianity that caused me to pause and ponder… Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God (9-11).

Before Christ we Christians are a messy lot. We are marred and scarred. What is wonderful is that in becoming a disciple of Jesus we were washed, … sanctified, … justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

With Jesus it is not where we start because Jesus can clean the worst of sinners. With Jesus it is about WHO we become! The inference of the text is plain, we are people who get to live differently, live better!

Pondering this, God took me down memory lane, considering who I was before Jesus and then who I am now that I am following Jesus.

God also asked me a direct question, “Can others tell you have changed because you follow Me?” Boom.

There’s the morning application of the Word… Is my life truly changing because Jesus is my Lord? Am I a different person today than I was when I first met and believed in Jesus…

How about you???

Lord, I sit silently before You today… pondering, thinking. In some ways I have changed dramatically, in others, not so much. In some ways I change and then fall back again. I am a mixed bag.

This morning in Your Word causes me to pause and take stock…

This morning in Your Word causes me to reaffirm, I am in. I am Yours. I need Your help of the Holy Spirit to become the person You saved me to be. I cannot do this on my own. I need You and I love You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I pray to You and in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment