Monday, June 17: Leviticus 21– A higher standard…

Priests were called to live to a higher standard than the average Israelite. James writes similarly of teachers when he writes: Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly (James 3:1).
I found myself pondering leadership calls…
Leaders, particularly religious leader/teachers, are called to higher standards of life, faith and action than the people they are called to lead. Leaders are expected to embody the culture and ideals of the organization, which they lead.
The more I ponder this, the more I realize leadership, particularly in faith-driven organizations, is far more than governance; it is manner of life as well as decisions and teachings. In God’s economy how we live is as important as the direction we lead the organization. A leaders’ personal standard is higher than the average follower.
I happen to be a pastor, so this word is a potent call to me as person and pastor. But it applies equally to people who might be elders or deacons in their church. It applies equally to people who lead in para-church ministries or serve as missionaries and small group leaders in the church, people who teach in Christian school or work in hospitals or businesses that profess faith in Jesus.
Leadership is a calling that encompasses all compartments of life. As a leader/pastor/teacher I must never forget this. What about you?  Is there application in this chapter for you?
Lord, instruct me that I might be faithful to You as a pastor, teacher, husband, and father. I cannot do this without Your help. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment