Wednesday, July 10: Romans 1– Slave and serve…

I recently finished the book, Not A Fan by Kyle Idleman. It is a very interesting read, similar in focus to Radical by David Platt, which deeply challenged me.  In Not A Fan there was considerable conversation about being a slave to Jesus. I suspect it was my recent ‘dialogue’ with Idleman about being a slave that drew me to verse 1 and Paul’s self description as a servant (better slave) of Jesus.
Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God
While the NIV and most modern translations choose to translate the Greek “doulos” as ‘servant,’ the more accurate rendering of the word should probably be ‘slave.’ The doulos was not a hireling working for someone but rather a servant owned by the lord!
Anyway, where I went in my meditations was the idea of being Jesus’ slave, being owned and therefore at the absolute beckon call of Jesus. That, after all, was the role of a slave… they do as the lord commanded or requested. The slave was not his/her own. Slaves didn’t call their own shots or determine their own course of action. Their life trajectory was set by the master. They came when the master beckoned. They went where the master directed. They ate what and when the master allowed and so on.
Do I live like that (?) totally directed by Jesus. Not very well if I am honest. And yet that is Paul’s self-designated position in life… the doulos of Jesus Christ.
And this it seems should be my goal in life as well, to be Jesus’ doulos…
I have a long way to go.
Pondering all this I was also attracted to verse 9, God, whom I serve with my whole heart …. The word ‘serve’ hit me. When I looked into this word it is not connected to doulos, instead it refers to someone who works for another… a hireling, employee, worker, hired servant. Again, the idea of working for another and the other being God, hit me.
Various questions rolled in my thoughts; they all probed my allegiance: Do I work for God or myself?
Sadly, my honest answers showed considerable lack on my part…
Oh, God, help me with my commitment to You. I fall short of being Your faithful ‘doulos’ and serving You with my whole heart. Forgive me for my lapse and more so… aid me to grow in commitment and total abandon to You, Your Will, Word and Way. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment