Thursday, July 11: Romans 2– No Excuse…

Toward the end of yesterday’s reading we read that ‘men are without excuse’ and now again at the start of today’s, we read the words ‘no excuse.’
That thought burrowed its way into me. No excuse. People are without an excuse. When we stand before God, we will have no excuse for breaking God’s rules. Rules broken will earn us punishment. Selfishness lived will earn us punishment. Idols followed will earn us punishment.
We will have no excuse… none.
This is the human predicament. This is the human problem.
Paul is making this, oh so very clear. And for today I am (we are) left with the despair of a problem that I (we) cannot solve by myself (ourselves).
A solution from God is coming. I know I have read Romans before but for now I/we are left to feel the weight of our human situation.
Lord, the weight of my human predicament presses down upon me, squeezing the air out of my lungs. There is nothing I can do about it. I am at my human end… save me.
Save me, Oh God. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment