Monday, July 29: Numbers 1– God knows us…

Throughout this chapter I kept thinking, “God knows us. God knows us!”
First He spoke to Moses … God spoke to him. Then God gave Moses and his brother Aaron, a job to number the able bodied Israelite males 20 and older… but much more specifically, God named the 12 tribal leaders who would assist them in this great undertaking. I was captured by the fact that God named the 12 leaders… These are the names of the men who are to assist you: from Reuben, Elizur son of Shedeur; from Simeon, Shelumiel son of Zurishaddai; from Judah, Nahshon son of Amminadab; I won’t go on and list the others with the unfamiliar names we cannot pronounce (see verses 5-15).
My observation is how well God knew Israel. When the counting was done the men 2- and older numbers 603,550. God knew His people and now Moses and Aaron know God’s people.
I kept going back to verses 5-15, God knows us. God knows us by name!
Wow, we serve a God who knows us by name! I immediately thought of Tommy Walkers’ song, He knows your name. Check it out on Youtube and let this truth song wash over you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrAqE_tSmo
Oh God, thank You for knowing me. In a world where I am a number to most, social security number, credit card number, student id, drivers license number and so on… by You I am known by name.
You know me, really know me.
You know my ancestors and my descendants… and You know me.
I am carried by this fact to Your throne to bless You and to cry, ‘Lord, help me to let others know that they too are known and loved by You, the one eternal God.

Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment