Saturday, June 15: Leviticus 20– Complicit agreement with sin-filled behavior…

God drew some strict lines when it comes to certain behaviors. The punishments for crossing those lines were severe!
The first commandment was ‘no other gods allowed’ (see Exodus 20 or Deuteronomy 5). I found myself dwelling on the first few verses of today’s chapter, which is an elaboration of the first commandment.
The worship of Molech was particularly despicable. “Giving” your children to Molech or the alternate wording “sacrificing” them (in other places in the OT “passing them through fire”) refers to child sacrifice.
What intrigued me was the implication in verse 4 that if you knew someone was doing this and you didn’t report him you were treated as if you were a follower of Molech. Keeping quiet or covering up for this action is as despicable in God’s eyes as committing it!
This launched my thoughts into wonderings about complicit agreement with sin others commit. If I turn a “blind eye” toward despicable actions I could prevent or bring to justice, could I be held accountable by the Lord?
I found myself thinking about various injustices in the world. What should I do? How should I act? What things should I say?...
Oh, God, I cannot take on every injustice. What would You have me do? And how do I approach these injustices when others in my society do not think they are wrong? My world is very different than the OT world of Leviticus.
Lead me, Lord, to make a difference in my world for You!

Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment