Monday, August 5: Numbers 7– treating others as God’s dwelling…

The Levites who were responsible for care and moving of the Tabernacle were given carts and oxen to carry the Tabernacle parts as they moved from the desert to the Promised Land. That is all of the Levites except the Kohathites. According to verse 9 Moses did not give any [oxen or carts] to the Kohathites, because they were to carry on their shoulders the holy things, for which they were responsible (9). Why I wondered? Because they were responsible for carrying the sacred holy and most holy articles of the Tabernacle?
I had to think about this for a while. Why was God making this distinction? It seems that sacred things are handled in a special way.
God, where does this touch me? We don’t have a tabernacle/temple anymore?
The NT says that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1Cor 6:19) and the church is God’s temple (1Cor 3:16). Hmmm…
God seems to be whispering to me that brothers and sisters who bear the image of God and have the Spirit within them should be handled in a special way. As I think through the NT I have read over the years, I remember admonitions to treat others with kindness, gentleness, bearing with and forgiving them. The fruit of the Spirit tumbled in my thoughts…treat others with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control.
Then there is the church, the body of the Christ indwelled with the Spirit of God. I must treat her specially as well. I must be careful to carry her with my hands, not load her into a cart. I need to see that she is preserved not destroyed, cared for not damaged…
And so my meditations whirled as I pondered the Kohathites carrying sacred things rather than transporting them in carts.

Lord, thank You for Your body, the Church, and for sisters and brothers of the church. I hear You calling me to honor and care for them And to be careful as I ‘handle’ them. Lord, may I honor You as I honor and care for them. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment