Tuesday, August 20: Numbers 20– Generational hatred and sin…

As I was reading today’s chapter, I found myself filled with sadness over the episode with Moses and Aaron and the waters of Meribah. How sad it was that this man of God stumbled before God as he did. This sin cost him entrance into the Promised Land.
As I meditated, I thought how important it is for us to maintain vigilance in our walk with Jesus. Moses did not lose his eternal inheritance, but he did forfeit a blessing this side of eternity because he dishonored God before the people.
As these thoughts subsided, I found my mind sparked by the generational hatred that surfaced in the story of Edom. Edom is the descendants of Esau the brother of Jacob. It appears that the Edomites harbored bitterness that likely stems back to the problems between Esau and Jacob. It occurred to me as I was reading the Word, how deeply generational sins can embed themselves into our lives. Esau and Jacob’s issues were at least 400 years earlier, and yet the hatred still continues to manifest itself.
This same kind of generational hatred or distain can be seen in many parts of our world. Arabs and Jews; factions in Serbia; and ethnic cleansing I have witnessed across various African countries. Apartheid in South Africa and the black/white racism experienced in the US are all examples for generational hatred.
I felt the impulse of God to examine my life to see if this kind of generational division lives in me and if so to confess it, repent from it, and ask God to release me from it.
Lord, search me and know me. Look through the layers of my life and show me if there is any generational, racial or cultural hatred or distain in me against any peoples of Your creation.
As needed cleanse, instruct and show me Your way, that I might live faithfully for You all the days of my life until I live with You in eternity with brothers and sister of every nation, tribe, language and people. I pray in Jesus, the One Savior and Lord of all. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment