Saturday, August 31: Numbers 30– …

Vows are a big deal to God. When we make one, God expects us to keep them. When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said (2).
Vows are serious business to God. This got me thinking about vows we make to God.
I thought about the vow congregations make when someone is baptized in worship: Do we the members of the church, promise to guide and nurture these new members by word and deed, with love and prayer, encouraging them to know and follow Jesus Christ and to be faithful members of Christ’s church? If so say, “I do.”
I thought about the vows we make when we join a church:
·         To renounce evil and its work in this world
·         To pledge fidelity to Jesus and God’s Word, and
·         To share faithfully in the worship and work of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way
Then there are wedding vows made before God, if we are married, and the list goes on.
This text is driving me to examine the vows I have made…asking myself if am I faithful to the vows I made to the Lord.
How about you, are you faithful to the vows you made?
Lord, God, it is so easy to speak pledge words fidelity and to vow this and that before You. You hold us accountable to the words we speak and the vows we make.
Forgive me when I have NOT lived up to my vows and even more so, God, may I have the strength to fulfill my vows made to You.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment