Thursday, September 19: 1Corinthians 10- Beneficial and constructive.

Considering that we are not under the law.  Does that mean anything goes? Obviously not! But how do I decide what goes and what doesn’t? One good thing about the law is that the law made it clear what was and what was not approved.

Paul gives a wonderfully concise answer for us who are no longer under the law… "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others (23-24).

First, Paul says consider what is beneficial or constructive. I assume he means what is spiritually beneficial and constructive. Questions like…. Will it help me grow closer to the Lord? Will it build my faith or the faith of another sister or brother? These are great starters in answering if it will be beneficial and/or constructive.

Secondly, Paul suggests we consider the effects of what we are considering doing, based on how it will impact others. We should seek the good of others.

As I think about Paul’s counsel, I find the simplicity of his approach so helpful…

Is it beneficial for my spiritual growth and does it benefit others…

Thank you, Lord, for this straightforward approach to living in Your kingdom and living well for You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment