Tuesday, September 3: Numbers 32– Commitment to others in need…

The Ruebenites and Gadites saw a good possibility… land east of the Jordan. This easily could have become a highly divisive situation, which Moses forcefully explains (6-13). These tribes quickly quelled any potential problem through a declaration of commitment to the cause of Israel and in support of their brothers.
They willingly made a sacrifice to show their loyalty to their brothers. After building cities for families and livestock, they would lead the assault into the Promised Land. We are ready to arm ourselves and go ahead of the Israelites until we have brought them to their place. Meanwhile our women and children will live in fortified cities, for protection from the inhabitants of the land (17). They will leave their families without adult males for an unspecified amount of time and willingly be the first into battle for the 10 other tribes, as their brothers possess the Land.
I shifted to my life.  Would I be willing to make such a commitment on behalf of the brothers and sisters in my church or for brothers and sisters in the Church living somewhere else in the world?
Yes, the Ruebenites and Gadites gain something from their commitment, but what they really gain is a change of inheritance. They would have inherited land west of the Jordan. By taking their land east of the Jordan they actually give a gift or extra inheritance (land) to their brothers. In fairness, I also realized that they would have fought in battles had they traveled with everyone else into the Promised Land…
God keeps His commitments (they are about to receive their inheritance) and God expects us to keep our commitments.
I found myself thinking about commitments God expects of me toward others, especially my sisters and brothers in Christ…
·         I thought about the parable of the Good Samaritan and how I am to help my ‘neighbor.’
·         I thought of Paul’s words in 2Corinthians 9 about helping brothers in need, even far away
It seems God expects us to be there for others in need…
Lord, as I round up this morning, I am finding myself contemplating what You desire of me in regards to Your church and Your world! Lord, continue to lead and guide me. Challenge me as needed, also Lord, that I might do and be all You would have be do and be.
I lay everything at Your feet…
Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment