Monday, September 9: 1Corinthians 1- The Power of God.

 

After spending time in the Old Testament I often experience a rush of delight when I return to reading in the New Testament. I experienced that ‘rush’ today as I read the wonders of God expressed in 1Corinthians 1.

Verse 18 became my meditative melody for today. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

My heart sang, yet with a tinge of sadness, “So true. So true.”

The wonder of the Gospel that I see and experience regularly as a Christ-follower, many others simply do not ‘get.’ When I share my faith some people latch on and the Gospel fills their thirsty soul, while others scratch their heads in bewilderment, as if to say, “Hey, it’s OK for you but not me; I don’t have a need for ‘religion’ or ‘Jesus’ or whatever their word.” Worse yet is when the other person’s reaction is hostile or condescending or …

I return to Paul’s words, For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. People may think the ‘Jesus-Story’ is foolish or I am foolish for believing it, but I cannot do anything about that. But I don’t have to allow their disconnect or hostility to steal the joy I have found.  Every day I experience the latter half of Paul’s words: … but to [me] who [is] being saved it is the power of God.

This morning I revel in the power of God… the power of God that is saving me, that is guiding me, that is empowering me, that is restoring me, that is using me, that is filling me, that is…

Praise be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment