Thursday, August 8: Numbers 10– Always a struggle within…

Today we read about Israel setting out on their trek to the Promised Land. The Lord God has taken a year to give them his law, established the Tabernacle and everything that goes with it, and to teach them the ways of His community. It is a great day!
The Lord God Himself will lead them through the pillar of fire by night and smoke by day. When the pillar lifts, they go, when it stays, they stay and where it leads, they follow.
God will lead them, that’s the essence of the story.
Then I come to verses 29-32, Moses pleaded with his father-in-law to come with them. I was surprised by some of the things Moses said.
Now Moses said to Hobab son of Reuel the Midianite, Moses' father-in-law, "We are setting out for the place about which the LORD said, 'I will give it to you.' Come with us and we will treat you well, for the LORD has promised good things to Israel." He answered, "No, I will not go; I am going back to my own land and my own people." But Moses said, "Please do not leave us. You know where we should camp in the desert, and you can be our eyes. If you come with us, we will share with you whatever good things the LORD gives us."
Is it only me or did you hear it as well?
Moses said, "Please do not leave us. You know where we should camp in the desert, and you can be our eyes. …”
Was Moses really asking father-in-law to be a safety back up plan? It surely sounds that way to me. “Dad, please come with us, you know the desert. You will know where we should camp. … I mean, you know, just in case God doesn’t know…”
It sure sounds to me like the great Moses is making sure he has a back up plan just in case God needs some help!!
This little exchange launched my thinking about how I do the same thing. How I trust God, but make sure I have a back up plan just in case. And it hit me, is that really trusting God?
Something for me to meditate upon on this mid-week Thursday…
Lord, do I really and truly trust You with my life? With my families lives? Do I? I want to, God. I long to really and truly trust You, but it is a struggle, a struggle within to let go and trust You.
I love You. I plead for strength to trust and follow You alone. No hesitations. No Holding back. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment