Tuesday, September 10: 1Corinthians 2-Thank you Holy Spirit.

Yesterday I noted a distinction between peoples; those being saved see the cross as the power of God while others see the cross as foolishness. Why is this?

Reading today I learned a piece of the answer. Verse 14 says, The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. Understanding the cross and other aspects of the Gospel is spiritually discerned, and people without the Spirit… cannot understand them.

Sometimes I think of the Holy Spirit as the ‘power producer’ of the Trinity, the one who empowers Christ-followers to do the works of God. And, yes, this is so as He wills, I should add. But the Spirit is much more. In verse 14 and its surrounding context, we learn that it is God’s Spirit within us that enables us to comprehend the things of God.

Yes, the Spirit brings power, but also understanding, wisdom and discernment. No wonder God gives His Spirit to all who believe in Jesus.

Praise be to the third person of the Trinity, God, the Holy Spirit. May I open myself up to Your wisdom and power, Oh Holy Spirit, and may Your wisdom and power help me to know more deeply and follow more closely the Son and the Father.

This is my morning prayer… prayed in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment