Thursday, July 25: Romans 14– Matters of conviction…

Paul, under the leading of the Holy Spirit, discusses disputable matters of interpretation. What foods are clean and the place of special or holy days were the pressing matters for believers in Rome. And these issues grew from the Jewish roots of the faith. Does a person need to keep kosher and observe Jewish high holy days?
Neither of these pertain directly to salvation.  Faith alone in Jesus is not at issue.  Righteous living, caring for the poor and needy, and other basic Christian distinctive are not affected. Basically the issues Paul is addressing are ‘pious add-ons’ to the faith.
They really don’t matter, teaches Paul. Doing them does not earn us extra favor with God; not doing them does not make us less in God’s eyes. They are personal, so the individual needs to be personally obedient to what he/she believes without putting pressure on others to do the same.
Not only are we not to put pressure on others to live as we do, we must not judge them. You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. … So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God (10,12). Only God judges!
The underlying issue is harmony, care and unity within the body. DON’T harm the church by your actions and attitudes!
I started thinking about my behaviors/beliefs in non-salvation areas of faith. Do I have any that harm the body and that put wedges between people within the body? Do I harm the body because of my personal piety issues?
Jesus, you died for Your church. You died for people. Forgive me when I unnecessarily hurt Your people, especially when pride, personal preference and issues of conscience are at the root. Oh, Jesus, forgive and stop me. Show me Your way…
I pray. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment