Friday, July 5: Hebrews 10– A work in progress…

By one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy (14). Let this statement sink in.
I find myself reading and rereading it again and again. The spiritual reality of this is staggering! In the heavenlies before the Father, Jesus’ sacrifice has made me perfect, made everyone who believes perfect!
The change of verbal tenses in that sentence is powerful. he has made perfect forever… an accomplished deal. A finished action! We have been made perfect forever!!!
those who are being made holy… this is an ongoing, not yet completely finished work. God is working in us, making us perfect. This action is not yet completed. Every time I look in the mirror or reflect on my life I know this all too well!
I am a work in progress with a guaranteed end… perfect forever! As Dr. Gordon Fee would say, “Christians are people becoming what by God’s grace they already are.”
And what do I do with this truth? Verses 19-25 answer the ‘what should I do’ question.
Therefore, brothers, … let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Before you close the Word for today spend some time with the ‘salad’ served in these 7 verses. Chew on each of the 5 types of lettuce (i.e. “let us…”) and let the Holy Spirit speak to you…
Holy Spirit speak… speak specifically to each and everyone of us, I pray, through Christ, my Lord. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment