Tuesday, August 27: Numbers 26– God sustains…

Moses and Israel stand on the plains of Moab, for 40-years they have been wandering. Now, finally, they are preparing to enter the Promised Land. God directs Moses to take a second census, which is summed up like this: Not one of them was among those counted by Moses and Aaron the priest when they counted the Israelites in the Desert of Sinai. For the LORD had told those Israelites they would surely die in the desert, and not one of them was left except Caleb … and Joshua … (63-65).
God keeps His word.  God said that the faithless generation would die in the desert and they did. God keeps his word.
Then another thought filled my meditations; the natural life cycle, birth and death, was not included in the story. I am not sure what to make of this… so I pondered.
So much of life is the ordinary and doesn’t make it on to the ‘highlight’ reel of life and yet God is there. God is present and God supports and cares and provides. For 40-years God watched over His people, faithless as they were. He provided food, blessed them with children, was present at their marriages and comforted them when death took loved ones. When I review my life, many more days fall in the category of ordinary as compared to a ‘highlight’ reel event. Through it all, God sustains…
Lord, I find myself being oh so grateful for Your everyday care for me and those around me. Thank You and bless You, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment