Wednesday, August 14: Numbers 15– Sinning defiantly…

"'But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or alien, blasphemes the LORD, and that person must be cut off from his people. Because he has despised the LORD's word and broken his commands, that person must surely be cut off; his guilt remains on him'" (20-21)
I found myself pondering the difference between unintentional sins (verses 22-27) and the person who sins defiantly.
Sin is sin and we are all guilty of sin. I am guilty of sin. These verses make a significant differentiation between unintentional and intentional (‘sins defiantly’ is the language of the text). Unintentional sins have a ritual for atonement and forgiveness. Defiant sin, however, calls for perpetrators to be cut off from the people. 
According to the text, defiant sin despises the Lord’s Word.  That’s a strong statement.
I found myself drifting through a review of my own life.  The frightening thing is there are times when I choose to sin. By OT definition, that is defiance. Oh my,  have I despised the Lord’s Word? Raw honesty, probably so.
Oh, God, I am so grateful that Jesus covers all sins. I sit here a lump before You, contemplating the incredible gift of atonement and forgiveness given in Jesus. Intentional and unintentional forgiveness!!! What an amazing gift. I sit here so blessed, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment