Thursday, June 20: Leviticus 24– Light…

Light… essential for life as we know it.
Light rich in meaning.
Aaron was to maintain light burning in the Tent of Meeting perpetually. Oil for the lamps was provided by the Israelites.  The lampstands were made of pure gold, and the flame burned constantly ‘before the Lord’ (see verses 1-4).
The symbolism of this filled my morning with God.
Lampstands and light… does it represent God’s people’s perpetual offering ‘before the Lord’ or possibly the people themselves? (To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands, Revelation 2:1) I believe it is a reminder that we are to offer constant praise, worship and service to the Lord (Let your light shine before men that the may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16). God is worthy of all our praise, and the Lord surely deserves and desires our praise…
What a picture to meditate upon.
Lord, God, I pray that I can be a constant light shining and pointing others toward You, the Most Holy One who redeems, saves, cares, provides, calls, empowers and sends Your followers out to the ends of the earth with the gospel message of Your name.
Lampstands and light… does it represent the Lord God standing watch perpetually over and among His people? Pure gold, reminding us of the purity of the Lord. Light from the candle, showing us the God is our light to show us His way (Jesus, I am the light of the world, John 8:12.  The Lord is my light and my salvation of whom shall I be afraid, Psalm 27:1. Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path, Psalm 119:105).
Yet again, what a wonderful picture to dwell upon.
Lord, bless You for showing the way, for lighting life which can be so dark and disorienting, for perpetually watching over your people. Thank You.  Bless You. Without Your light I would be lost.

To You, Oh, Lord –Father, Son and Spirit- I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment