Thursday, June 6: Leviticus 12– Setting up a nation…

I can’t say that reading the purification rights after childbirth was a topic that engaged me. But as part of God’s Word I need to give it the attention it is due.
First I realized that it would be nearly impossible for a woman to be a priest, between monthly cycle and childbirth there would be too many weeks when she could not serve in the tabernacle or temple. In that case, how would sacrificial needs of the people be met. So often we moderns feel the OT is sexist against women. Certainly society was patriarchal and male dominated but if I consider things from the need of the sacrificial system, having women as priest would certainly strain the ability of people to offer the necessary and desired sacrifices to maintain their religious duties and connections to God.
Another avenue of contemplation was realizing how many different kinds of rules and regulations are necessary to set up a nation-state. In addition to giving God’s people rules for living faithfully before Him, God is setting up rules for the nation that will soon be established.
And so my morning thoughts went today.
Lord, thank You for establishing Israel, for calling a people to Yourself and teaching them how to live in connection with You and how to live in connection with one another.
Lord, show me as a believer in Jesus how to live in relationship with You and relationship with others, so that You, Oh God, are glorified and people who are ‘watching’ me might be drawn to You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment