Wednesday, March 20: Exodus 18– Teaching and Training…

Two verbs sparked in my thoughts as I listened to Jethro’s advice to Moses, teach (20) and train (21-22). Teach and train.
As I thought about those words, it hit me that they are a summary for anyone in any type of leadership; bosses, parents, managers, moms, teachers, administrators, pastors, elders, deacons, mentors, etc. You name the position….teach and train are part of the function.
Teach… the impartation of knowledge to another party. It’s explaining the rules, procedures, history, facts, aspects, routines, values, and information of your company, country, club, sport or faith to your audience.
Train… proficiency based tutelage that gives your audience the ability to utilize the knowledge learned in life settings and work practice.
Teaching is information driven. Training is skill and function driven.
Teaching explains the truths of faith. Training enables people to take faith-truths and incorporate them into life.
Teaching explains to children facts of money management. Training helps them learn the value of money by handling their own money. For example, giving children a clothing allowance and having them make their own purchases within the allowance the parents set, this is training.
Teaching explains the ingredients in a Friendly’s Jim Dandy Sunday. Training helps a person master the art of building an eye appealing JD Sunday within the established guidelines.
God has me thinking about where I need to improve in my Teaching and Training… given the many life-hats I wear.

Lord, teach me and train me of the Holy Spirit, that I might be deeply and always Yours… Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment